August 5, 2012

Read This!: The Girls from Ames

By Jeffrey Zaslow

Book challenge:  author with a Z in their name

A few years ago I saw a blurb about this book in one of my magazines and I thought it could be an interesting read.  However, I never got around to reading it until now.

The Girls from Ames is the true story of 11 girls and their lifelong friendship.  We learn about the girls as children, all born around 1962-1963, their life together growing up, and how their friendship is today.

My initial thought on reading this book was that 11 is a large number of close knit friends in one crowd.  I would get lost in a group that big.   But, overall these girls seem to have a great friendship and they can all depend on each other throughout it all.  I think friends who meet you as adults are different from friends you knew when you were 7 because those older friends know where you came from.  This bond is important to all of the girls.   My one disappointment is that this book was written a few years ago and I wanted to find out updates on the ladies but alas, I came up blank.  The book website doesn't have any recent updates.


No comments: