November 15, 2013

Read This!: The Dead Lie Down

By Sophie Hannah

This is a book fair read.

Ruth Bussey’s boyfriend Aidan confesses that many years ago he murdered a woman.  But, the thing is, Ruth knows this woman and she is definitely alive.  So what gives?  Frustrated with Aidan’s lack of belief that this woman is alive, Ruth goes to the police as does Aidan.  The police think something is up and look into the murder that doesn’t seem to be a murder but what is happening for real with these people?

It took me awhile to get into this book because the narrator kept alluding to past events for everyone and I was getting annoyed at the lack of any detail for like 200 pages.  Once more information started coming to light, I was hooked and things moved much faster.  The mystery was interesting but I was on to some of it which always makes me think I am superior.  One thing, I didn’t think the Charlie-Simon marital relationship issues were ever resolved so I am not really sure why they were even in the book except I think this might be a series and maybe it is dealt with elsewhere?  The other thing is that each chapter had a date on it.  So it would be “February 27, 2009” or whatever and then suddenly the next chapter date format would be 2/3/2009 so I thought the book went back in time but then I realized the dates were in British format and it was actually 3/2/2009…
This may not sound like a glowing review but I liked the book enough to think I might want to read another Sophie Hannah, so that is not nothing.
 
 

No comments: