November 19, 2013

Read This!: Let It Snow

By Maureen Johnson, John Green, and Lauren Myracle

Book fair book!

It’s Christmas Eve and a major snow storm and lots of romance have hit Gracetown.  The first story (there are three total in this book which are separate but intertwine) leads from a stranded train to sparks in a snow bank.  In the second, a drive to a waffle house turns into amour with an old friend.  And the last shows that a crappy Christmas and an super early shift at work can end up as a happily ever after.

When I saw this book at the book fair, I was like “Yes! Three holiday romances!”  Alas, soon after starting it, I realized that this was actually a book for teens…  Which was fine…  Until I was subjected to 300 pages of teen angst.  I don’t mind some young adult literature but I think when you are 35, you have a different perspective on things and you have a tendency to roll your eyes at some of this teen stuff.  For example, in the second story, I kept thinking 1. These kids are complete morons to be driving in this snow, 2. The author must never have been in a major snow storm since these kids would have frozen to death if this was real, and 3. Do kids really talk and act this way?  This book did make me laugh from time to time and it also helped to get me in the Christmas spirit so my time wasn't completely wasted. I think I was just a bit thrown because I wasn’t expecting Dawson’s Creek when I picked it up.  I was expecting more like The Guiding Light.  :P

No comments: