By Anne Rice
Challenge: Vampires
So this is Mr.’s favorite book and I have successfully
avoided it (although I have seen the movie) for years, but when the vampire
challenge came up, I went for it.
Interview with the Vampire is told by Louis (lou-ee not
lou-is as he is Creole), a 200 year-old vampire. In the late 18th century, Louis,
disenchanted with life, falls into the hands of the vampire Lestat and thus
becomes a vampire. Even though they have
a contentious relationship, Louis and Lestat remain together for years, adding
another vampire, a child, Claudia, to the mix.
Claudia, adult in mind but still a child in body, and Louis, always
pensive, have many questions about the origins of vampirism, what they actually
are, etc. etc. etc. but Lestat, a bit of a jackass, won’t give up any
information. This stalemate leads to a
series of events which have catastrophic consequences.
I confess I liked this book a lot more than I thought I
would. I became interested in learning
more about Lestat in particular and ended up reading Wikipedia to get some more
info. Yes, I could read the other books
in the Vampire Chronicles of which Interview is the first but Mr. seems to
think I won’t be into them because they aren’t as good as this book.
Louis is Mr.’s favorite vampire and has a penchant for
over-analyzing and philosophizing and thinking, constantly, to where I was
like, “Get it together Louis! Stop
obsessing! Quit being such a wet
blanket!” This is why Mr. likes him, for
all of his thought and introspection.
And this is where Mr. and I differ.
Case in point, this movie was playing on TV while I was in the midst of
reading the book so I decided to have the movie on while I read the book
simultaneously. It had been awhile since
I had seen it but (semi-spoiler) I died over Lestat’s comment about Louis
whining at the end. That wasn’t in the
book but it was awesome.
I’ll end with Louis’ constant battle within himself over
whether he is good or bad makes me wonder if Anne Rice meant this as kind of a philosophical
work. What makes a person bad? Are you bad because everyone is telling you
you are bad and so you think you are or is it your nature?
No comments:
Post a Comment