Challenge: Body part on the cover
I like the 1920s so I picked up this book randomly at B&N.
Cora Carlisle is a middle-aged, blah, boring, Kansas matron when she offers to escort fifteen year old, Louise Brooks, the eventual 1920s silent film star, to NYC for the summer while she attends a dance school. Louise is headstrong, vivivacious, and scandalous, the opposite of Cora. But, soon, we learn that Cora isn't quite what she appears and throughout that summer, Cora breaks out of her Kansas housewife persona.
I really liked this book. I don't really know a lot about Louise Brooks but from what I gather this book is based on a real life summer she spent in New York. I found Cora to be such an interesting character. She seems to be conservative living an uneventful life but slowly we learn that not all is what it seems. This book kept surprising me with its twists and I really liked how in the end Cora transformed herself.
No comments:
Post a Comment