March 19, 2014

Read This!: Death in Holy Orders

By P.D. James

Book fair book!  This author also wrote Death Comes to Pemberley.

Death in Holy Orders takes place at the seminary of St. Anselm on the coast of England.  After one of the students is found dead, his father asks Inspector Dagliesh to investigate.  While he is there, the archdeacon, a man with many enemies is found murdered.  Dagliesh begins the investigation into his death, the original death, and a few other deaths that occurred recently.  In the process, he uncovers some past secrets that help him unlock the mystery.

This was an OK story.  I suspected it was part of a series because it had that feel and discovered it was.  Generally, the most perplexing thing in this whole story is trying to understand how Anglican priests work.  I am not Anglican and had to investigate.  There was a big reveal which I didn't guess but then I thought there would be another big reveal later on.  Turns out there wasn't so that was a little disappointing.  Either way, I found this interesting enough to recommend so there it is.

No comments: