October 6, 2011

Read This!: Mini Shopaholic

By Sophie Kinsella

Sophie Kinsella (aka Madeleine Wickham) is one author whose books I always read. I have been a fan of the Shopaholic series since day 1. I own all the books. Sad but true. I was pumped to see a new book coming out, waited it out to paperback, and then scooped it in the Borders going out of business sale.
After The Tudors, I was pumped to be reading some chick lit.

For those of you unfamiliar with the series, Becky Brandon (née Bloomwood) is a shopaholic who gets herself deeper and deeper into huge messes because of her zany ways only to triumph in the end. (That description makes you want to go out there and read the whole series, doesn’t it?) Anyways, you may have seen the movie that came out not too long ago. The movie was not great. I don’t know why they moved Becky from London to NYC. Dumb. Don’t let that be your basis for the series.

There may be some spoilers coming.

So far we have seen Becky fall in love (book 1), move to Manhattan (book2), get married (book3), move back to London only to find out she has a long lost sister (book 4), and have a baby (book 5). This book picks up when Minnie (said baby) is 2.

Now, I have to confess many years ago, when the shopaholic books first came out I was gushing to BFF J (here forward on this blog known as Hoops) about them and she said she actually thought they were kind of dumb and annoying. Blasphemer! I ignored her and read them anyways. However, the first half of this book, I was starting to share her opinion. It was too much because 1. I don’t think screaming, bratty kids are funny. Yes, I would be the judgey person in the mall giving Becky the stink eye during Minnie’s over the top tantrums. and 2. I was eyerolling a bit at Becky because of all the lies she tells. However, the book picked up in the second half and I actually laughed out loud at a few bits. So in the end, Becky got me again.

I also liked that Sophie Kinsella tied in stuff from the other books (aka Suze’s picture frames). I felt as though I were getting a high five for sticking it through six books when I noticed those mentions. I will say the end was a bit open-ended but I guess that leaves it open for another book.

I also was shocked when Becky mentioned she was 29. I realize this is a made-up world but I thought she was like at least mid-30s by now. Way to make me feel old

No comments: