I just walked to Macy’s to get my watch battery replaced. I love the Macy’s by work because it is huge and I can spend a long time there browsing around and buying things.
On my way over, I had such deep thoughts (move over Locke) like “Oh cool! They dyed the fountain orange for Halloween” and “Does anyone ever stop for those Children’s International people or that sidewalk preacher?”
When I opened the doors, I smelled that Macy’s smell which takes me back to my wedding planning glory days. I bought and altered my wedding dress there. Hooray!
Macy’s is already decked out for Christmas (yikes!) and while I may have bought some Christmas things over the past week including perhaps this morning, I am not ready for it in full force.
I took my watch downstairs and they said it would be about 20 minutes so I moseyed on up to the women’s accessories section. I ended up buying a gray hat for winter using the remaining balance on a gift card Mr. and I recently rediscovered. Yeah!
I still had some time to kill so I went to the housewares section and was cruising through the ½ priced Christmas dishes when this lady stopped me by yelling “Excuse me!”
My first thought was that I dropped something or had a big rip in my pants.
However, because I am such a fashionista and have exquisite taste, I get stopped quite frequently and asked about my clothing. So my second though was “Ohh a compliment is coming” and as I was preening ready to say I bought my new scarf at the 40% Banana Republic sale yesterday, she said sorry for bothering me but:
“You look so happy and smiley walking around. I just had to know why.”
Me: “Um ok”
Her: “What is it you do for a living?”
This seemed odd to me but I replied, “Um I work in computers.”
She seemed slightly disappointed by this. I think she was expecting me to say that I saved 10 lives today or found the secret to world peace. Not “I develop products that make rich people richer.”
She left me alone after that with an “Oh ok. Well you just looked happy” or a similar remark.
Smiley is not my normal MO and I had no idea I was walking around as such. But on careful consideration I have narrowed down why I was emitting such joy to the following:
1. I wasn’t at work.
2. I was shopping.
3. I was shopping Christmas stuff that was ON SALE.
4. I love Christmas
5. I like my new scarf.
6. I was not at work.
7. I overindulged in candy corn earlier today.
On the way out, a crazy, potentially homeless man, yelled after me “You have a beautiful face!”.
Who am I to disagree?
So I took that and put it in my box of compliments to pull out on a rainy day.
Mr. is lucky to have such a happy and attractive wife.
No comments:
Post a Comment