December 24, 2012

Christmas Songs!


With Christmas almost upon us, Mrs. and I were listening to Christmas carols yesterday while she baked her annual Christmas cookies and we had an idea for an impromptu draft of Christmas songs.  We’d go back and forth and each select ten songs, with the only rule that once a song was picked it was off the board.  Since this was a spur of the moment draft we had to pause a few times to try to remember all of the Christmas songs we liked, but overall I think we were both satisfied with our selections.  Because we have different tastes in music (even traditional Christmas songs it turns out) I actually don’t think either of us were too bummed by any of the other’s selections.  Mrs. won the coin toss and got to select first (and by coin toss, I mean I said, “you can go first”).

So welcome to the first (and probably only) Mr. and Mrs. Christmas song draft.

With the first pick in the 2012 Christmas song draft Mrs. selects:
“O Holy Night” – Mrs.’ favorite Christmas song was a solid first selection and luckily she didn’t steal my pick.

With the second pick Mr. selects:
“Silent Night” – My favorite Christmas song and the heart of my team.

With the third pick Mrs. selects:
“Carol of the Bells” – merry, merry, merry, merry Christmas; merry, merry, merry, merry Christmas

With the fourth pick Mr. selects:
“Frosty the Snowman” – he’ll be back again someday.

5th pick to Mrs:  “Lo How a Rose E’er Blooming”  – interesting selection by Mrs.  A true sleeper pick.
6th pick to Mr.:  “Winter Wonderland” 
7th pick to Mrs.:  “I’ll Be Home for Christmas” – a pick for her dad since this is supposedly his favorite Christmas song (we’re waiting for confirmation from him).
8th pick to Mr.:  “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” – At this point I've chosen the top four on my draft board, Mrs. hasn't stolen one yet.
9th pick to Mrs.:  “White Christmas” – good value with this pick, I should have jumped on this one higher up.
10th pick to Mr:  “The Little Drummer Boy” – after Mrs. picked “White Christmas” I obviously panicked with this selection.  Probably my weakest selection - several spots too early.
11th pick to Mrs.:  “It Came Upon the Midnight Clear”
12th pick to Mr.:  “The Christmas Song” – I can’t believe this was still on the board.  Not to brag, but great pick by me.
13th pick to Mrs.:  “Feliz Navidad” – Mrs. spicing up the Christmas song draft with this one; it's like a party in here.
14th pick to Mr.:  “Joy to the World” – another classic that I’m surprised lasted this far.
15th pick to Mrs.:  “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” – quote from Mrs. after the selection, “You know how I like this, even though it’s kind of a weird song”  Hahaha . . .
16th pick to Mr.:  “God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen”
17th pick to Mrs:  “O Come All Ye Faithful”
18th pick to Mr.:  “Let It Snow”
19th pick to Mrs:  “Coventry Carol” – I have to admit, I’ve never heard of this song and have absolutely no idea what it would sound like.
20th and final pick to Mr.:  “The First Noel” – at this point I was just reaching for any Christmas song I could remember.

Thanks for joining us for this exciting Christmas song draft.  So who had the best draft?  Who’s team of songs do you want?  We’ll let you be the judge.  Happy Holidays!

Draft Results

Team Mrs.                                                   Team Mr.

“O Holy Night”                                              “Silent Night”
“Carol of the Bells”                                        “Frosty the Snowman”
“Lo How a Rose E’er Blooming”                     “Winter Wonderland”
“I’ll Be Home for Christmas”                          “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas”
“White Christmas”                                         “The Little Drummer Boy”
“It Came Upon the Midnight Clear”                 “The Christmas Song”
“Feliz Navidad”                                              “Joy to the World”
“Baby, It’s Cold Outside”                                “God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen”
“O Come All Ye Faithful”                                “Let It Snow”
“Coventry Carol”                                             “The First Noel”

No comments: