For me 2012 was the most highly anticipated year in terms of new music
in recent memory. New albums from my
all-time favorite band Smashing Pumpkins, three of my favorite artists – Fiona
Apple, Regina Spektor, and Cat Power, as well as the release of the MTV
unplugged album from Florence + The Machine, and even albums from new and old
favorites such as Ben Folds Five, The Shins, and Mumford & Sons. Heck, even Bob Dylan got into the act with a
new album. And even with all of that my
two favorite albums of the year were by artists I hadn’t even heard of before
2012 – My Head Is an Animal, the debut album from Of Monsters and Men and the
self-titled debut album from The Lumineers.
Note that I still haven’t had a chance to give the Smashing Pumpkins
album the listen it deserves (so no songs below); I’m afraid that any new music
from the band will ruin my teenage memories of the songs I loved. I’ll try to do that in 2013 because while
2012 was an awesome year for new music, as of right now the only thing on the horizon
that excites me for 2013 is the potential new album from Pearl Jam.
So with all of that as an introduction, to close out the year
I’d like to present my favorite new music of 2012. Many of the blogs I read are where I go to
get recommendations for anything from music to movies to books, so consider
this my gift to you. I couldn’t decide
between a top ten list and a more exclusive top five list, so of course I settled for a top seven (we’ll call it the baker’s half-dozen).
Looking for something to do with that new i-Tunes gift card that you
recently received as a gift? Here are my favorite new songs of 2012:
7) “Manhattan” by Cat Power – I still prefer the simpler piano and
voice Cat Power, so Sun might not be my favorite of her albums, but I do really enjoy
this song.
6) “Small Town Moon”
by Regina Spektor – all of her music is fun, including this one, the best off What We Saw from the Cheap Seats.
5) “Laura” by Bat for
Lashes – it sounds a little cliché, but this song is just haunting and
beautiful.
4) ”Something Good”
by Alt-J – their debut album (An Awesome Wave) is a darling of the alternative crowd and is definitely
unique, but for whatever reason my favorite songs on the album are the less popular
ones (at least in terms of i-Tunes popularity), with this one being the stand
out.
3) “Werewolf” by
Fiona Apple – everything Miss Apple produces takes time for me to warm up to,
and then each album succeeds in replacing the previous as my favorite. I have a suspicion that The Idler Wheel Is Wiser . . . (the full title is 23 words long – yes, seriously) will
also be a challenge, but at the very least Fiona has wowed me with this song.
2) “Little Talks” by
Of Monsters and Men – the whole album is incredible and I could pick several
songs for this list, but if I’m being honest my favorite is still “Little
Talks”, even if it’s verging on being overplayed (movie trailers, commercials,
etc., etc.) I thought this would end up
as my favorite album of the year until . . .
1) “Stubborn Love” by
The Lumineers – I love this album and the only danger is that I will tire of it
on the one thousandth listen. The
band’s hit “Ho Hey” is everywhere and it’s fantastic, but my two favorites are “Submarines”
and this one, my favorite new song of the year.
No comments:
Post a Comment