I’m
first going to say that I really enjoy Cluck Klosterman's writing. I've
read most of his collection of essay nonfiction books, and I read most of his contributions to Grantland.com. I say all this because The Visible Man was my
first foray into Klosterman’s fiction (he only has one other novel) and
unfortunately I can't recommend it. The premise is interesting and I
found myself enjoying the nonconventional structure, but in the end the story goes nowhere and I didn’t see the point (maybe it was over my head?).
The
Visible Man is written as a copy of a manuscript of the same name written by
Vicky Vick, a therapist who's attempting to sell this book about her recent
patient, who she simply refers to as "Y". According to Vicky, "Y" is in the
unique situation of being a former scientist (unless he’s lying) who has
developed a method to cloak himself in order to appear invisible to
others. In essence what he does is wear a suit covered in a mysterious
gel like substance that makes people unable to see him, or more appropriately
to see through him to whatever is behind him.
Don’t think too much about whether this makes any sense, as “Y” says, we
just wouldn’t understand the science. "Y"
uses this “invisibility” to observe people alone in their homes in an attempt
to understand what they’re really like (or so he says). So yes,
"Y" is basically a creepy stalker. And in one case the victim
of his observation almost dies (in large part due to his actions) and in
another a man actually does die (indirectly because of his actions). So
he’s both a creepy stalker and a potential murderer.
"Y" seeks therapy to help understand his own actions, so
Vicky's manuscript contains transcriptions of her interactions with
"Y", including phone calls, her notes from the sessions, and
eventually their meeting in person (while he's not cloaked). The majority
of the book covers various stories of the people that "Y" observed
and the . . . uh . . . interesting things that occurred during these visits (I think what he
discovers is that people are weird – or maybe he was just picking weird
people). Anyway, about halfway through the book had me interested and I
was like "hmm . . . where is this going?"
But about 3/4th of the way in it was more like "uhh . . . where is this going?" Because it just sort
of ends after Vicky and “Y” (and unfortunately for him – Vicky’s husband) have
a heated confrontation when “Y” appears in Vicky’s home cloaked. Again, perhaps the symbolism went over my
head (I doubt it), but I just didn’t think it was very good.
So
the gist here is feel free to skip this book (sorry Chuck), but I still highly
recommend any of Klosterman’s nonfiction essays, which are interesting and humorous and a much better way to spend your time.
Next up: The Last of the Mohicans by James Fennimore Cooper
No comments:
Post a Comment