December 14, 2012

Read This!: The Remains of the Day

By Kazuo Ishiguro

Book fair!

So I bought this on a whim at the book fair because I love books about English gentry and their servants.  I have never seen the movie.
In post WWII Britain, Stevens, a life-long butler to an English lord and then an American man reflects back on his life in service as he takes a road trip to visit the former housekeeper and his friend, Miss Kenton.

I don’t know how I feel about this book.  I couldn’t tell if the author was mocking Stevens by making him so serious or if he was supposed to be a tragic figure whose lifestyle was going by the wayside?  Some parts did pique my interest and I LOL’ed at Stevens' attempt to explain the facts of life to his employer’s friend’s son.   But, generally, the ramblings of Stevens about butlering were a bit of a snooze fest which I just plowed through in order to get to something more exciting.

No comments: