January 14, 2013

Downton Abbey 3: Episodes 1 and 2

SPOILERS!!!!

So as it turns out, even though Downton fever is raging across the world, the only people I know who watch the show are men: Mr., my Dad, and my BIL.  This leaves me with a lot of comments that I want to discuss but have no audience for.  Mr. tries but alas he just can’t get into these discussions.  So I am listing my thoughts here.

Before I get started, here are some things Mr. and I have discussed:
  • Is Matthew the luckiest guy ever?  Two big inheritances.  Geez.  I would be happy to even be considered for a large inheritance.  Let alone actually receive one (or two).
    • I was Team Mary on how to use this cash by the way.  Matthew needed to stop the whining and just take the dough.  Really. 
 
  • Bates sucks.  We are over his story.

  • I feel bad for Edith.  I am a middle child too so I know what it is like and yeah she can be mean but man, could Sir Anthony not have come to this decision BEFORE SHE WALKED DOWN THE AISLE.  Mr. suspected something was up before me so props to him.  I think she needs to go abroad and party.

  • O’Brien’s new hair.  Hallelujah!

 
  • We love Isis.

 
Things Mr. tries but can’t get into:
  • How underwhelming was Mary’s wedding dress?  In Mr.’s defense, he tried to get into this by asking if I liked Edith’s or Mary’s better (I am Team Edith).  Here is a comparison from US Weekly.  And I know styles were different but eh, I was bored.  I did read that Mary’s was the most expensive dress ever made for the show but still, eh.  I loved its softness but I was not impressed.  I am hoping it was better in person.

  • Lady Mary’s skin.  I think Michelle Dockery has the most fabulous skin I have ever seen.  I comment on it constantly when watching DA.  Mr. commented that you don’t know where her wedding dress ends and her skin begins and that he is sure she has make-up artists helping her along on this.  Of course, I was just as pale on the day I got married.  But seriously, her skin is so even and unblemished.  I think she should be the spokesperson for skin cancer groups about how pale can be lovely and tanning is blech.  Would that we all had her perfect complexion.  Sigh.

  • Come on costume designers!  Your dresses are recycled from last season!  Putting sleeves on them doesn’t hide the fact!  Show me something new! And yes, I realize the Crawleys had some financial problems and maybe had to move into a smaller MANSION (LOL at Branson’s line related to that) but get a new frock.  Please.

No comments: