January 13, 2013

Read This!: The Winter Palace

By Eva Stachniak

Book Challenge: Author with a Polish last name

Mr. surprised me with this book at Christmas.  Usually he doesn't venture into buying me random books but I guess he was desperate for holiday presents this year and gave in.  I have mentioned before that I would like to read a biography of Catherine the Great and so this must have been in the back of his head because this is a historical fiction using Catherine the Great.  As an additional bonus, the author is natively Polish so hooray!, I could use this for the book challenge.  Go Mr.!

I would also like to note that I am embarrassed that it is January 13 and I have only just finished my first book for 2013.  What is happening????  Stupid work for keeping me busy.

Varara (Russian for the Polish Barbara) is a Polish immigrant, a bookbinder's daughter, who finds herself a spy for the Empress Elizabeth of Russia.   Sophie, daughter of a German prince, is brought to Russia to marry the heir to the throne, Peter.  Sophie will become Catherine the Great.  Varvara soon becomes the confidante to Sophie and in her being her ally, is closely involved in her ascension to power.

I had not read any historical fiction around Catherine the Great before so this was a new area for me.  Mr. did well because I found the story to be engaging and fast-paced.  I was googling the people and places which were discussed in the book which is always a sign of interest from me.  I might have to explore other books with this same idea.  Since I am over the Tudors for now, I need a new monarch to read historical fiction about.



No comments: