The Last of the Mohicans is one of Mrs.’ top 10 movies of all-time and a
film that I also really enjoy. Because
of this I’d always wanted to read the book by James Fennimore Cooper. The novel
tells the story of Chingachgook, his son Uncas (the last of the Mohican tribe)
and their friend, the frontiersman Hawkeye, as they attempt to rescue Cora and
Alice Munro, the daughters of a British commander in French and Indian War. The sisters first encounter the Mohicans and
Hawkeye while being escorted to their father’s fort by Duncan, a major in
Munro’s army and the trio helps guide them all safely. The action takes the reader from the fort
where the French defeat the British to a Huron village where Cora and Alice are
held captive after being abducted by Magua, a Huran chief, and all throughout the mountains and woods of
upstate New York.
The Good: My first observation is
that the book differs in many ways from the movie, but this isn’t a
bad thing at all. In fact, I think a
movie more faithful to the novel would be incredibly interesting and
suspenseful in its own right. The main
differences are that the novel focuses more on the Indian tribes, where a
large portion of the action takes place, and that the novel doesn’t have the same
romantic relationships that the movie presents (oh, Hollywood). The story really moves once the sisters are
kidnapped and the rescue begins. It was also really interesting to see the plight
of the Indians as the Europeans are slowly taking over their country and their ways
and traditions begin to die (symbolically with the last of the Mohican tribe).
The Bad: The book is a tad long and a little slow at the beginning. There’s lots of description of the settings,
the mountains, the rivers, etc., and while well written, as a modern reader I
could do with a little less. My only
other critique is that I don’t like when writers talk to the reader, such as
“now reader this or now reader that”. For
example Cooper begins a chapter with “. . . we use an author’s privilege, and
shift the scene a few miles to the west . . .”, and writes similarly several
times. Just tell the story, don’t tell
me that you’re telling the story. Just a small pet peeve, but maybe this was a popular writing device 200 years ago.
The Verdict: I’m glad I finally
picked up The Last of the Mohicans to read, and overall I would definitely recommend the novel.
Next up: Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
1 comment:
Great movie! Watched it in our colonial America course in college because it revolves around this book. Betrayals : Fort William Henry and the massacre.
Post a Comment