January 26, 2013

Read This!: Tatiana and Alexander

By Paullina Simons

Challenge: Sequel to any book you have ever read

If you'll recall, last year, I read The Bronze Horseman.   Everyone was raving about it but I had some issues with the story.

This is the next book in the trilogy.  While I didn't LOVE the story, I didn't hate it enough not to read the sequel and I will probably read the next one in the series because I might as well find out how it ends.

I have asked Greeney to read these books so we can talk about them.  They have gotten me really riled over the fact they are like on everyone's favorite book list and I don't understand at all.

(Spoilers below if you haven't read The Bronze Horseman)

Tatiana and Alexander picks up with Tatiana  in the USA eventually working as a nurse on Ellis Island and Alexander in prison in the Soviet Union.  Tatiana thinks he is dead but is not 100% convinced.  Alexander is just hoping Tatiana made it out of the USSR.  The majority of the book goes between Alexander fighting for his life against the Soviets and the Germans and Tatiana trying to make a life for herself in New York with her son, Anthony.  There are also scenes depicting Alexander and his parents leaving America and their years in the Soviet Union before they were imprisoned.  Furthermore, we get glimpses into Alexander's life before he met Tatiana but after his parents died.  There were a number of flashbacks to The Bronze Horseman as well.  I didn't mind these because it had been awhile since I read it and it was good to refresh my memory.

Generally, I thought this book dragged on a bit and at times it felt as long as the Russian winter.  How many times can Alexander ruminate in poor living conditions?  Really?  Enough already. I found Tatiana's story to be a lot more interesting if unbelievable here and there (Angel of Ellis, side-eye).  The end moved fast though and if you read The Bronze Horseman you probably should read this.


More detailed comments with spoilers:

Alexander

- I found him to be a complete douche again.  I don't know why Simons felt the need to make him into such a nymphomaniac before he met Tatiana.  I mean I get that she was the pure savior to his debauchery but still.  It was a little heavy handed.  Moreover, I don't get why all the women swoon over him in reviews of these books.  I guess I just was born without a gene for submissiveness.  He dominates Tatiana and the book says (paraphrased) that he liked to dominate her to feel powerful.  Some of the "sex scenes" in this book were what I deem as rape.  Mr. agreed once I read them to him.  I wanted to slap Alexander when Tatiana finally springs him from the Soviet prison and he hasn't seen her for years but all he does is yell at her.  I would have been like "see you later jerk".


USSR

-Once again, glad I was not born here.  Yikes.


The Barringtons

-What were they thinking?  Seriously???  I lack passion over ideals so I don't get their behavior at all.


Pasha

-What the heck was the point of bringing him back only to have him get killed?  At least Tatiana could have been reunited with someone outside of her jag husband.

No comments: