January 7, 2013

MLB Hall of Fame


We don’t write too much about sports on the blog.  This is in large measure because Mrs. is not a sports fan.  This leaves the sports arena to me, so I’m taking the liberty of posting a really long write-up about the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame candidates.  If, like Mrs., you have no interest in sports, feel free skip over this one.  Anyway, it’s almost time for the announcement of the next class for the HOF and here is what it would look like if I had a vote.

First, a quick word on PEDs – I think steroids are a terrible black mark on baseball and it sucks that so many players were “cheating” or whatever you want to call it.  But I’m also not a fan of revisionist history (taking away Heisman trophies, vacating wins, etc.) and the thing is, the home runs were hit and records were set.  We don’t know how many players used PEDs and we know that many who did, used before baseball tested (in essence they let the players cheat).  I don’t know what the right answer is, but for me I don’t have a problem with admitted steroid users in the HOF, although I might use PEDs as a sort of tiebreaker if I think it’s close.

Also, I used to consider myself a “small Hall” person, meaning just the best of the best (Lou Gehrig, Ted Williams, Willie Mays, etc.)  But in putting together my hypothetical ballot I realize I’m at least a “medium Hall” person if not a “big Hall” one.  In fact I’d use up all 10 spots on a ballot if I had one.  Oh well. 

Here’s a look at the 37 candidates on the ballot.  The “no’s” can be divided into four categories:

Perfectly fine ballplayers, but ummm . . . no:

Sandy Alomar, Jr., Jeff Cirillo, Royce Clayton, Jeff Conine, Steve Finley, Julio Franco (although he gets bonus points for playing until he was around 60!) Shawn Green, Roberto Hernandez, Ryan Klesko, Jose Mesa, Reggie Sanders, Aaron Sele, Mike Stanton, Todd Walker, Rondell White, and Woody Williams


They might (repeat: might) have the numbers, but still a no for me:

Lee Smith – the all-time leader in saves when he retired, but only a special closer (think Mariano Rivera) would get a yes vote from me.

Sammy Sosa – Yes the 600+ homers would probably get him in without the PED issue.  But look at two players:

Player A:  2,354 games, 2,408 hits, 234 stolen bases, .273/.344/.534 slash line

Player B:  2,583 games, 2,548 hits, 320 stolen bases, .271/.332/.442 slash line

Sosa is player A, and all the home runs help out the slugging percentage.  But player B is Steve Finley, who’s numbers aren’t that different (obviously minus the home runs) and we certainly aren’t electing him. Anyway, home runs or not, a no on Sosa.

Rafael Palmeiro – Yes, he’s got the 3000+ hits and 500+ homers (PED assisted or not), but he also has the lying about steroids and the Viagra commercials.  I never thought of him as one of the best at his position when he was playing.  I remember lots of talk of how he would be a test case for the Hall once he reached those lofty numbers.  And for me that’s a no.


80’s stars who were really good, but not quite hall of famers:

Jack Morris – really good pitcher, but not quite a Hall of Famer for me.  He’s been on the ballot for a long time though, so obviously there are lots that disagree with me.

Don Mattingly – the prime of my baseball fandom was probably 1984-1996 when I was between the ages of 6 and 18.  And Donny Baseball was a pretty great player in the mid-to late 80’s.  In fact, I’m sure in 1987 I would certainly have designated him as a future Hall of Famer.  But then he just fell off a cliff and couldn’t stay healthy.  A nostalgic player, yes, but not quite a Hall of Famer.

Dale Murphy – another 80’s star who reminds me of being young.  Like Mattingly, Murph had some terrific years, and then came the injuries and he just lost it.  A reluctant no.

Alan Trammell – I don’t remember him as a huge star, but I admit I was probably a tad too young in his absolute prime.  He was also overshadowed by Cal Ripken and Ozzie Smith during his best years.


90’s stars who were really good, but not quite hall of famers:

Bernie Williams – another guy I never remember considering a Hall of Famer during his playing days, but his numbers are more impressive than I would have thought.  Still falls short for me.

David Wells – he was definitely a star for a few years, but I remember him more for being fat than for being a potential Hall of Famer.

Larry Walker – how much were his numbers helped by playing so long in Coors Field?  I don’t know the answer, but even though he was really good (and his numbers are actually quite a bit better than I remember), he still falls short for me.

Fred McGriff – I really wanted to vote for the Crime Dog, but I’m not sure he was ever considered the best at his position and he falls a bit short on some of the numbers.  Real close for me, but not quite.


So that’s the “no” votes, and if you’re still with me, I would use all available spots on my hypothetical ballot and vote for 10 players for the Hall of Fame.  The “yes” votes can be divided into three categories:

The no brainers:

Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens

PEDs or not, two of the best of their generation.  Enough said.

Jeff Bagwell – lacking some of the nice numbers (short of 500 home runs/3000 hits), but I do remember him as an absolute star, possibly one of the top 4 players of the 90’s (off the top of my head – Bonds, Ken Griffey Jr., Frank Thomas, Bagwell . . . who would be ahead of them?)

Mike Piazza – the two best catchers of the 90’s were Ivan Rodriguez and Piazza, and he’s most likely the best offensive catcher in history (even if he fought the position to a draw at best defensively).  That’s enough for a yes vote from me.


Yes for me, but I can see why a “small Hall” voter would say no:

Craig Biggio – it’s possible he’s more of a compiler (see Palmeiro above), but I do think he was a really great player for a long time and that puts him over the edge for me. 

Curt Schilling – he was one of the top pitchers of his generation and has huge strikeout numbers.  No question a Hall of Famer in my mind.

Edgar Martinez – the argument against him is the designated hitter thing, but that’s not a problem for me if you’re one of the best hitters of a generation and I definitely remember Martinez as just that.

Tim Raines – I remember Raines as a huge star in the 80’s and then a really good player for many more years.  Great leadoff hitter – got on base and stole lots of bases.  Is probably hurt by having played so long and being mediocre towards the end.


The toughest yes decisions:

Kenny Lofton – he’s really on the cusp for me, but I can vote for 10 and I’m going to include Lofton because although I might remember him more fondly then others, I definitely remember him as a fantastic leadoff hitter, centerfielder and baserunner for those 90’s Cleveland Indians.  And I can remember thinking he’d be a Hall of Famer back in those days.

Mark McGwire – surprisingly the toughest choice.  I was amazed at his low hit totals (it seems he just couldn’t stay healthy – PEDs or no).  But he was definitely a star and a terrific home run hitter.  If I had a vote I would agonize over McGwire, but on this ballot which means absolutely nothing I’ll give him the yes.

5 comments:

jmcgoldr said...

I don't see Lance Johnson anywhere on your list?

Mrs. said...

I just want to say, I am glad there is a comment on here because at least someone read this post... He lost me half way through...

jmcgoldr said...

I'm surprised you made it half way through not being a baseball fan. I enjoyed the read.

Mrs. said...

I was surprised myself. It must be true love.

Mr. said...

Lance Johnson wasn't eligible this year, and I don't think write-in votes are allowed. And Mrs. meant "half way through . . . the first paragraph."