January 23, 2011

Read This!: The Forgotten Garden

Since the Bears game is not going well and Mr. is up in arms, I have retreated to the computer for a book review. I finished my read during the first half of today's game.

By Kate Morton

The Forgotten Garden recounts the story of a little girl who, in 1913, was put on board a steamer headed to Australia from London. She is alone and when she finally arrives in Australia, the dock master takes her in and raises her as his own. When she is 21, he tells her about her arrival and this begins a long journey eventually taken up by her granddaughter to figure out who she is, where she came from, and why, at the age of 4, she was put on a steam ship alone to Australia.

The story jumps around in time from 2005 to 1900 to 1913 and so on which is a technique that I love. I devoured this book. Every chapter was more interesting than the last as I tried to figure out what was going on and what was what. I figured out some of the secrets but some were not as easy. I can't think of any loose ends that weren't wrapped up.

I am now on the search for another one of this author's books because I so enjoyed this one. I love when I find a new author to read!

No comments: