February 17, 2011

Mourning for Bookstores

I love to read if you haven’t noticed. When I was a kid and we would go to the mall, I would say to my Dad, “Can I go to the bookstore?” He would let me run off (love that 80s parenting) and I would lose myself for an hour in the Children’s section.

I still love bookstores. Nothing is better than going through the new releases table or perusing the shelves and coming upon an interesting name or cover. I can spend hours and hundreds of dollars there if left unchecked (so can Mr.). These days, my bookstore of choice is Borders. Not for any other reason than they are in better locations around the city for me than other bookstores. So, you can imagine what a dark day yesterday was when Borders filed for bankruptcy (Not surprising. We were there on Sunday using up “our” (really Mr.’s) gift certificate just in case.). All but one of the stores around us are closing. Sad face.

Why is the hate there for real books these days? Why don’t people want to buy real books? Who to blame for this? (OK I am looking at you, Kindle.) You can’t scope out books to the same effect online. (Says the person who wrote this post with a big Amazon shipment of books sitting on her desk) It is a lot harder to chance upon a new title that you wouldn’t have noticed otherwise.

I tend to overreact to things and may have thrown a mini-tantrum over this yesterday and then threw myself into denial that bookstores and books as we know them may be on their way out. I believe I even shouted at Mr., “AT LEAST THIS WON’T HAPPEN IN MY LIFETIME!!!!” He may have rolled his eyes in response. Hee.

Come on America! Let’s kill some trees and read actual paper books!

Save the bookstores!

I am very put out.

No comments: