By Kate Morton
If you'll recall I read The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton a few weeks ago. Mr. surprised me with this book for my birthday and since I am awaiting a shipment from Amazon that is taking more than its time, decided to dive in.
The House at Riverton is told in first person by Grace, the family's maid during the years 1914-1924. As a housemaid and then lady's maid, she is privy to many family secrets and the focus of her tale is not only her own life and experiences but those of the three siblings whose family house is Riverton: Hannah, Emmeline, and David.
At the start of the book, it is present day and Grace is close to 100 years old. They are making a movie about the house at Riverton centering around the suicide of a young poet in 1924 in front of Hannah and Emmeline. Asked to contribute to the story, Grace is soon remember details long forgotten and decides to recount to her grandson (breaking her long silence) the events leading up to the suicide. As you can imagine, there is a lot more to the story that one would guess.
I was surprised by the ending and the big reveal for sure. I had my suspicions on what the truth was but, alas, didn't guess it. I think that is a mark of a good book.
No comments:
Post a Comment