February 7, 2011

Super Sunday

Some leftover thoughts from Super Bowl Sunday:

I’ve seen a few headlines claiming this was the worst halftime show ever (or at least in a long time), but are the halftime shows ever that good? Mrs. and I didn’t think it was that bad, at least not any worse than any other year. They dusted off Slash to join the Black Eyed Peas on stage, but I guess Axl Rose was busy filming Celebrity Apprentice or something. Either that or Fox only opened the wallet for one member of the band and the coin came up Slash.

As far as the commercials, our favorites included:

The Bridgestone ad with the beaver
The Bud Light house sitting ad with the dogs (they’re tending bar!)
The Doritos house sitting ad (“Grandpa?”)
The Bud Light product placement ad (where do we get a Bud Light stained glass window?)
The Teleflora ad – for Faith Hill deadpanning “So you sent that?”

The worst commercial was by far the E-Trade baby. I find these neither cute nor funny. In fact I find them creepy. The fact that people think this is funny makes me lose a little more faith in humanity.

Pepsi Max also shouldn’t win any awards for having a man get hit in the crotch with a pop can, which was funny the first time this joke was done – in 1974. Seriously Pepsi Max, you’re spending millions of dollars on an ad, and this is the best your creative team can come up with?

And speaking of commercials, while not a Super Bowl ad, have you seen the new Kleenex disposal hand towels? Outside of owning a giant gas guzzling SUV is there any better way to give the middle finger to the environment? I mean, what am I missing here? Aren’t we supposed to be “going green”? And here’s Kleenex trying to fill our garbage cans at home with non-reusable towels?

No comments: