January 4, 2012

Knit-mas Presents

So while I wasn’t doing any Christmas crafting this year, I did spent half of November and December knitting. What you ask? These storybook hats whose pattern was show-cased in my Knitting Patterns for Dummies book.


I made the green one first.  That is for our niece/ nephew set to arrive in May. You will notice it is smaller than the other two because I made it using the "baby" size pattern.  It came out OK but the ribs were a little wonky. I think because it was knit purl knit purl and I must have briefly and accidentally knit knit purled or purl purl knitted.

I have never knitted ribs, done any kind of decreasing, or used circular needles.  Mostly I have just knitted rectangles and squares.  Remember this? There was a bit of a learning curve here but they weren't too hard once I got started.
As I was pleased with hat number 1, I decided to make ones for our two nieces T-Bone and Buggy. I ventured into stripes here (as you can see). The ribs on the first one were OK with maybe a slight error. But, on the last hat, I decided to put counters after every 10 stitches. I knew I was supposed to hit them after I made a purl stitch so this helped keep me on track. The last hat had the best ribs.

I am now a pro hat knitter if anyone would like one.

Mr. thought the girls hats were way too big and was joking they would be ready to wear them to college. But, I followed the pattern for gauge and what-not using the "toddler" sizing and in the end, they fit them and Mr. had to admit, they were better than he originally gave me credit for.

I have regressed back to knitting rectangles though.  I am currently working on a scarf for myself using some gray merino wool I bought just because I liked it.  Stay tuned...

No comments: