June 24, 2012

Catching up on Food Network Star and The Killing

Mrs. and I just returned from vacation and used the last couple of days to catch up on a couple of TV shows we missed – the finale of The Killing and the latest episode of Food Network Star.  I have some thoughts on the Mad Men finale from a couple of weeks back as well, but they’ll have to wait until a future post (I'll need the space).  For now, here are some thoughts and predictions on the remaining contestants on Food Network Star and some comments/complaints about The Killing Season 2 finale.


Food Network Star

A few weeks back I ranked the contestants on this season’s Food Network Star, and of course the next day my #1 (Eric) was voted off.  So obviously that didn't work out.  However, we now have a better idea of what each potential star is about, so I feel much more confident in my updated rankings:

1)   Justin (previous rank #5) – the obvious favorite at this point, Mrs. went as far as to predict he’ll end up with a show even if he loses.  He’s creative, has personality, can cook and it’s his to lose.  Of course this almost assures he’ll be voted off tonight.

2)   Emily (previous rank #4) – like Justin she combines creativity and personality (Team Alton is rocking with Justin and Emily).  I’m still not completely sold on her “Retro Rad” thing, but she’s a solid #2 at this point. 

3)   Martita (previous rank #7) – it gets a bit murkier starting here, but I’m going with Martita despite a few missteps by her.  She looks like she’d be good on camera and has some spunk.  The only question is whether her point of view is unique enough. 

4)   Michele (previous rank #6) – I could be talked into switching her and Martita because Michele has been strong lately.  We know she can cook, so the only question is do people want to watch a show starring her?

5)   Ippy (previous rank #3) – I might have been a little too optimistic last time with Ippy, but I still think there’s potential.  He might just be too young and a too laid back.  We’ll see how far he can ride this Hawaiian thing.

6)   Martie (previous rank #11) – I was too down on Martie in the last rankings, as it does seem like the judges like her.  I myself don’t think I’d watch her show, so she remains towards the bottom.

7)   Nikki (previous rank #2) – I had her too high, but now I fear she’s too low.  She keeps ending up towards the bottom, but then does well in the pitch room.  She’s got a clear idea that the judges embrace, but for whatever reason she just annoys me.  She's the wildcard right now.

8)   Yvan (previous rank #8) – the biggest problem for Yvan is that he doesn’t seem genuine at all.  It’s like he’s trying to say what the judges want to hear and making stories up if he has to.  I can’t put my finger on it, but he grates on me.  I don’t like his chances.  

9)   Malcolm (previous rank #10) – best way to not win:  being boring.  Six weeks in and Malcolm’s done nothing of note.  I could see him continuing to lay low and make it a few more weeks, but I don’t see him standing a chance to win.


The Killing

And now on to the finale of (the frustratingly disappointing) Season 2 of The Killing, where we finally discover who killed Rosie Larsen.  I’ll avoid any major spoilers in this post (such as revealing the killer).  The quick version of my review of the season is that is sucked and I wished I had never watched the show.  But the long version is a little more complicated.

Season 1 of The Killing started off promising, but quickly became repetitive and slow.  And then it infuriated me and Mrs. by not revealing the killer in the finale (which was strongly implied in all of the ads).  So then we had to decide whether to invest (or waste) our time in another 13 episodes of a show that wasn’t that great to begin with.  We decided to go for it, mostly to find out who the killer was, but also in hope that some of the Season 1 problems would be fixed.  We ended up disappointed again. 

So back to the finale (and Season 2 as a whole).  The finale itself was actually a reasonably strong episode.  Mrs. in particular liked the twist they threw at us towards the end (and for my part I agree).  Another part I enjoyed was the flashback scenes where we finally see Rosie involved in the action – at home before she runs away, at the casino before the attack, and then running from her attacker in the woods (which we saw in the Season 1 premiere).  Since the decision was made to do flashback scenes, I don’t know why we didn’t get more of them throughout the 26 episodes.  It could have gone a long way to making the viewer care about Rosie and helped fill in some of the gaps of both Holder and Linden’s lives.  Since there was really no mystery that the viewers could try to solve (I never got the idea that the viewers were presented with clues to help solve who killed Rosie) the flashbacks could even have been used to show the viewer things that the cops don’t know and then we could watch them working to catch up.  I should also say that the atmosphere of the show was good and most of the acting was high quality (I particularly liked the character of Holder and the actor portraying him).  That's the good, but now onto the bad.

The Killing wasn’t a terrible show and like I wrote, the finale was one of the better episodes.  The problem was that the show aspired to be great (in the AMC tradition of Mad Men and Breaking Bad), but never came close to that.  The idea of doing a cop show where an entire season (or in this case two seasons) revolves around one case had a lot of potential.  The show could then take its time to develop the characters, both the cops and the victims.  But instead the viewer was subjected to episode after episode where we learn nothing about the characters and are instead just presented with potential suspects who are then ruled out by the end of the episode.  Why not introduce the character and then keep the mystery around for several episodes or the entire season so that the viewers are kept guessing?  It felt like we wasted so much time on minor characters who had nothing to do with the story.  The show wanted to be different from a typical network police drama (such as Law and Order where the crime is wrapped up each episode), but instead the writers/directors/producers resorted to misleading viewers with false suspects, clichéd dialogue and situations that left a ton of holes that made no sense (was there a government conspiracy?).  With a show like this I think you need to have the entire season planned from the beginning for it to work, and I get the feeling that those in charge instead made it up as they went along, which resulted in a series that failed to live up to expectations.

I could go on and on, but I’ll just conclude by saying that the finale wasn’t bad and at least we have an answer to who killed Rosie.  After two seasons and a ton of frustration over a show that could have been so much better with a few changes, I’m fairly confident we won’t be back for Season 3 (if there is a Season 3 and it seems less than likely).  And knowing what I know now, I’m not sure I would have ever started watching the show.  I’m leaning towards no.

No comments: