June 4, 2012

Read This!: The Stepford Wives


By Ira Levin

Challenge: book written in 1972

Joanna and Walter move to Stepford, an idyllic Connecticut town, to raise their kids in a suburban setting instead of the city that they came from.  Soon after arriving, Joanna starts to notice that all of the women in Stepford are perfect and beautiful housewives and starts to investigate why.  Will she find out before she becomes one of them????  

This was more of a novella than a novel at less than 150 pages and so I finished it off in a day.  Go me!  Part of the reason was, once I got into the story, it hooked me and I wanted to know what happened.  When I finally got to the end, I kept thinking about this and finally coerced Greeney into reading it so we could chat about it.  My unanswered question was this (not sure if I need to do a spoiler alert here):  Couples move to Stepford.  The Men’s Association to which the men all join does something to the men. What is it?  It has to do something or else why would the men be OK with suddenly all having Stepford wives??????  GAHHHH!!!!!!    

Finally, I thought was hysterical that Joanna was going door to door to try to start some women’s group or chapter of NOW and the women were like um no way.  This struck me as funny because I would have side-eyed her too and I am far from a Stepford wife, much to Mr.’s dismay from time to time.

No comments: