June 25, 2012

Turks and Caicos

Mr and I just got back from a week in Turks & Caicos, land of bliss.

The week before we went I was suffering from a sinus infection, a stomach ailment, a crazy large and lasting mosquito bite, and, two nights before we left, I fell on our stairs, dropped a glass, and got a huge cut in my hand.  Sigh...  So vaca was needed.

We flew on Delta, connecting through Atlanta.

Our original flight was supposed to leave at 7AM Saturday.  We boarded and then, much to our dismay, they announced we were having an oil leak but assured us we would be on our way soon.  10 minutes, 20 minutes...  Half an hour...  Still couldn't get it fixed.  Mr. and I only had an hour and 59 minutes between flights so we were starting to get anxious.  There is only one flight a day from Atlanta to Providenciales.  We waited.  There was another flight at like 8:30 or so and they started to call people from our flight to get off our plane and go on that one.   We waited...  Still the oil leak was happening.  Finally, they called us and we popped up and ran to the other plane.  We would only have about a 1/2 hour once we landed before our other flight took off but I kept telling Mr. that they know we are on this flight, so they have to hold it.  It would be ridiculous if they didn't.  We had checked one bag which we thought we would never see again once we changed planes but they said it should be OK.

We took off and were on our way.  We landed in Atlanta and had to switch terminals.  Once we finally got off the plane, we took off and ran.  Now, I have asthma and at one point I told Mr. to leave me and go himself because I couldn't keep up.  The Atlanta airport is not tiny and finally, after 20 minutes of running and trains, made it to our departure gate.  Where we discovered there was a small delay in our T&C plane.  Yeah!  So we caught our breath and bought some water.   We finally got on board and took off for a week of fun and sun.

Our suitcase surprisingly made it.  Yeah!

Mr. and I decided to stay at the Seven Stars resort on Grace Bay.  Grace Bay is fantastic and I highly recommend going there.  We spent the majority of the week going to the beach and to the pool and once went kayaking.  I don't have much to say other than it was very relaxing.  Here are some highlights:

1.  The Seven Stars was awesome.  Everyone was so friendly and since this is not the high season, it wasn't super crowded.  The pool was supposed to be salt water but it didn't seem like that to us.  We went to their Beach BBQ on Sunday.  We watched the sunset from our table right on the beach.  It was fab.  Mr. loved the jerk chicken which he mentioned to me once, twice, three times...  Between that and my "This is the tale of Captain Jack Sparrow" (profanity warning if you watch that link) exclamation every two seconds, it was a tight competition over who was the most annoying.  We also really liked their restaurant Seven.  We went there for dinner our last night and it was really, really good.  High recommendation from us.


2.  Food is expensive!!!!  When making arrangements, I didn't want to go and stay some place that had a full kitchen.   I don't like to cook at home, let alone on vaca.  However, there was a grocery store across the street from the Seven Stars and we ended up buying lunch meat, cheese, etc. so that we could just make lunch.  Resort food is heavy and too much for a week so this was a nice change.  Even though the food was pricey, it was much cheaper than getting food from the restaurant daily.  Our room had a small kitchen in it with a fridge, microwave, stove top.  They provided dishes and stuff as well so Mr. not only got to indulge in his favorite place, the grocery store, he also got to do his favorite activity, washing dishes, as well.  The maids took away any dishes we left dirty in the sink but we didn't mind doing some of them.

3.  We discovered the electric tea kettle.  There was one in our room and we used it to make tea every night.  We love our tea.  We may have to purchase one for home.  It heated the water so fast!

4.  It only rained at night which was fab.  But during the day it was cloudy.  This was good for us because it was still hot but we weren't overly sizzled by the Caribbean sun.  Mr's Irish skin did get a bit burned but my Polish skin tanned nicely.  We both were wearing 50+ sunscreen and reapplied several times daily.


5.  Grace Bay beach is supposed to be one of the best in the world.  It is incredible.  The water was amazing and we spent hours just swimming and being in the ocean.  Awesome.

6.  I have come to the realization that while most kids annoy me to no end, it is the parents to blame.  When you are at a resort where there are mostly adults lounging and yours are the only kids, why aren't you telling your kids to stop from screaming and splashing.  When you are in the airport, why is your child yelling and dictating his video game and why aren't you telling him to stop?  When you are on a plane, why is your child playing loud video games and having the sound turned up?  When seated at breakfast, does your child really need to be watching a video?  When there are elderly people looking for seats in the airport, why aren't your telling your kid to stop lolloping about over the seats and let the older people have a seat?

7.  The Turks and Caicos airport is one of the worst airports I have ever been to.  It is super small and all the flights seem to take off at one time.  This leads to EXTREMELY loud and noisy situations.  There are no seats.  Children are screaming.  There is no where to go.  It is hot.  It is awful.  It is like they are saying "Welcome back to reality".

8.  The number of middle-aged women reading Fifty Shades of Grey was beyond belief.  Feisty keeps asking me if I have read this and I keep saying no because, eh, I have too many other books that I was prefer to read.  But it seems SO desperate housewifey to be reading this.  I judge people.


Overall it was a fab vaca.


No comments: