June 7, 2012

Read This!: Black Water

By Joyce Carol Oates

Challenge: set over the 4th of July


First of all, I apologize in advance for all of the book reviews that will be coming your way.  Mr. and I have a major backlog of unreviewed books that we are making an effort to do.

To the matter at hand...

A Senator and a 20-something girl (woman?) met at a 4th of July party.

They left the party together to drive to the ferry.

They got lost and the car flew off the road into a body of water.

The Senator escaped.

The girl did not.

Sound familiar?

This story is told from the girl's point of view.  How she feels as she is trapped under water, what the thoughts are going through her head as she waits, the events of the day that led to this moment.

Throughout reading this, I kept thinking, "If she did one thing differently..." I also kept thinking that the Senator was a bit of a letch and "Ick".

Oates was definitely successful in portraying the girl as young with a life yet to be lived which made the situation at hand all the more sad.








No comments: