July 24, 2012

Read This!: The Dry Grass of August

By Anna Jean Mayhew

Book challenge book: Yellow cover

I found this book by looking for "yellow covers" on Amazon.  I needed a yellow cover book for the challenge and couldn't find one.  Ironically (or coincidentally), the day after I got it out of the library, Real Simple pinned this to their board for summer reading.

It is 1954.  Jubie (June Bentley Watts), her mother, siblings, and "their girl" Mary are driving from North Carolina to Florida and back for vacation.  As they cross through Georgia, anti-integration propaganda is everywhere, the air is thick with racial tension.  As the story progresses, we learn about the Watts family and its dynamic.  They are not as perfect as they might appear.  Mary is the one who Jubie leans on for support and comfort.  As they drive through Georgia, a series of events leads to a tragedy none of them foresaw and which changes their family forever.

This book was reminiscent of The Help with its depiction of Jubie and Mary's relationship. I thought this was an interesting perspective and definitely would recommend it. I didn't LOVE it like I did The Help but the story grabs you and makes you want to keep reading.

No comments: