July 7, 2012

Read This!: The Various Haunts of Men

Susan Hill is a new mystery writer for me.  She wrote a series of books with the character Simon Serrailler, a British DCI (I can't remember what that stands for but it is a detective).

The Various Haunts of Men is the first Simon Serrailler mystery.  People keep going missing and Simon and Freya Graffham, a new DI (detective) at the Lafferton CID (police), start investigating why.    The victims have links to alternative therapists and a medium.   Is this where the murderer lies?

This was a little more "crime" themed than my normal mystery writers.  It was more technical and dark.  We get glimpses into the killer's mind which explain his/ her actions as well as see the perspective of Freya as she tries to figure out what is going on.  Normally, I read authors who have a bit of humor in their mysteries and everything is revealed in the drawing room.  Not so much here.

The ending got me because an event happens and I thought it was a fake-out.  I couldn't believe that the event would actually happen.  But it did....  I think I will have to pick up the next Serrailler mystery.

    

No comments: