September 17, 2013

How to Make a Ribbon-Edged Table Runner

1. Cut two pieces of material to desired length  (I think I did 60 x14 inches for a 48 inch table) and cut the ribbon (I used a grosgrain) two inches longer than the sides.  You'll need 4 length and 4 width.
 
Pro (hahahaha) tip: When using a grosgrain ribbon, burn the ends to keep the fray away.
 


2. Pin "length" ribbon to the edge of the material pieces.  Do this on both the right and left sides and on the right side of the material. (I think I covered about an inch of fabric but I lined up according to the pattern. It's really whatever works, no rules.)   Repeat this for the second piece of material.  Don't pin both pieces of fabric together.



3. Sew the inner edge of the ribbon to the fabric.



4. Pin the short, "width" pieces of ribbon to each end of the fabric so you have a ribbon border.  Wrap the end of the ribbon around and pin to cover the edge of the length-wise ribbon.




Different view:



5. Sew the inner edge of the "width" pieces of ribbon:





6.  After you do this to both pieces of material, pin them together so that the right-sides face out.  Sew along the edge of the ribbon.  (I didn't take a pic of this).

7. Voila!



 

No comments: