By Anna Quindlen
Challenge: Author that has a Q name
“Q” authors were hard to find so I went with an easy one
here.
For almost 20 years, Frances Benedetto has lived with a
husband who beats her. After one
terrible attack, she takes her son and flees from Brooklyn to Florida to start
a new life. Even here, thousands of
miles away, she isn’t free of her husband and the life she left in New York.
Black and Blue is told from the perspective of Fran. She jumps back and forth in time and is, on occasion,
hard to follow. I kept having to go back
and re-read because I wasn’t sure how I got from A to B in the story. Through her voice though, you get to
understand why Fran stayed with her husband, even though especially as an ER
nurse, she knew she should leave and why Fran never told anyone. The story did drag a bit in the middle and I
kept waiting for some action to take place to keep the story going, especially because,
and I don’t think I need to spoiler alert this, but SPOILER!!!,in case I do,
you know her husband is going to make an appearance.
No comments:
Post a Comment