By Joanne Fluke
Book challenge: Christmas theme
It is nearing Christmas and the towns folk of Lake Eden, MN are at the community center for a pot luck of new cookbook recipes when they are besieged by a blizzard and someone ends up suspiciously dead in the parking lot.
Now, when I read the other Hannah Swensen book, I felt it was dated even though it was written recently. I felt that way again. I mean there was an actual conversation in the book where Hannah explained to one of her beaux what a "side" was. Who doesn't know what a side is for a meal? There is also a bit of an antiquated, sexist feeling to some of the comments like only girls take home ec and only boys shop. Lastly, I found the birth scene at the end of the book to be a bit bit odd for a book written less than 10 years ago. First, there was a mention of the expectant fathers' room. Next when the dad arrives, he just hangs out in the hall until he doctor comes out and says the baby is here. Finally, the dad had to check in with the wife before, the doctor states, he heads to a celebration with his friends and he has no say in the baby's name. What? Side-eye. Is this 1965? What guy isn't in the delivery room and runs out for a party right after? Maybe I just roll with a different crowd. Anyways, that aside, while I find Hannah slightly annoying, it was a light read and I liked that the author seemed to be in on the joke that it is unlikely that every other day someone is murdered in this small town. I also find it interesting that Hannah keeps finding bodies but no one suspects her. She, along with Jessica Fletcher, Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple, and Theodosia Browning from the tea shop mysteries, is someone I would not want at my party.
No comments:
Post a Comment