July 19, 2010

Cornbread = Eh

This week's Sunday new recipe was cornbread.



I love cornbread. Mr. likes cornbread. We were having BBQ chicken and we already had corn meal leftover from our fried green tomatoes last week as well as a cast iron skillet so we went for it.

Our recipe of choice was from The Food Network's Neelys. Pat and Gina make some of the best looking food ever and their speciality is southern comfort food so we went for it.

Before (notice how the vegetable oil is bubbling around the batter from heating the skillet beforehand for 30 minutes):







A half an hour later:





My vote on this bread was "eh". It was heavy and not sweet enough for me. I had to cover it in lots of butter for it to be really good. Mr. loved it though even without the major butter drenching. I will say the Neelys mention pouring melted butter over it when you pull it out of the oven. I wish I had done this. I will also say I wish I had used melted butter instead of vegetable oil for the creation of the crisp outer crust. When you do comfort food, you have to go in all or nothing.



My all time favorite cornbread is from Sundown Saloon in Greenwich, CT. It is more like cornbread cake than true southern style cornbread. So after some searching today, I found this recipe which I may try this weekend. It seems like its sweeter and more cake-like than the Neely's recipe. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: