By Madeleine Wickham
I have been a big Madeleine Wickham fan for years starting with my read of Confessions of a Shopaholic which was published under her pseudonym: Sophie Kinsella. Usually if I see a new book of hers come out, I will buy it knowing that I will find it amusing and it will be a nice quick read.
The Wedding Girl was not my favorite of her books. For starters, in the prologue, you learn that the main character Milly married a gay man at the age of 18 or so to keep him in the country. Fast-forward 10 years, Milly is engaged to another man. I am pretty sure you can tell where this is going. I did immediately. I have to confess that this book somewhat annoyed me because while Wickham's characters always seem to find themselves in a mess because of some big lie, this one seemed really, REALLY unbelievable. Even so, I was drawn into the story and had no problem finishing it so, obviously, I wasn't that annoyed. There were a few turns to the story I didn't expect so it wasn't all predictable. I'd give this a slim recommendation just because I like mindless chick lit and this fit the bill to a T.
No comments:
Post a Comment