July 26, 2010

Read This!: The Hound of the Baskervilles

By Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Recently, I have run out of books to read. Mr. and I buy all of our books. (We are aware this is horrifying to some but, alas, it’s how we roll. I have been looking into getting a library card since we have been plowing through books recently ( I read over 40 last year) and we are running out of space to put them but our local library is only open to 6 most nights and not on Sundays which makes it difficult for us to actually go there.) Anyways, I was tapped out and didn’t have the chance to run to the bookstore last week so when I finished The Wedding Girl, I started looking through Mr.’s books. We don’t share the same taste at all but I like mysteries and he recommended The Hound of the Baskervilles so I decided to give it a go.


It wasn’t bad. The gist is that Sir Charles Baskerville recently died under questionable circumstances and his doctor comes to Sherlock Holmes for help in figuring out what happened. The Baskervilles have a family legend of this vicious hound that hunts their family members down and the doctor is concerned this legend could have played a part in his patient's death. T0 add to this, on the demise of the previous Sir Baskerville, his heir, Sir Henry Baskerville, comes over from the Americas to claim his inheritance. Soon after arriving at Baskerville Hall where he is accompanied by Holmes’ assistant Dr. Watson, some mysterious circumstances occur and it’s a race against time to figure out the mystery before something happens to Sir Henry.


I will say it was a decent mystery but it lacked a wow ending. I’d give it a B.

No comments: