July 18, 2010

Read This!: Shanghai Girls

By Lisa See

As I mentioned previously, I have a thing for early 20th century books that center around China. So surprisingly I had never read a book by Lisa See before even though I have seen her Snow Flower and the Secret Fan in the bookstore on more than one occasion. Either way, I purchased Shanghai Girls a few weeks ago because I was lured by the back cover synopsis which spoke of an arranged marriage, 1937 China, and secrets. All interesting themes. To me… At least…

Shanghai Girls starts off in 1937 Shanghai with two sisters May and Pearl living the life as part of the upper class. Unfortunately their father has a bit of a gambling problem and is ruined. To pay his debtors, he agrees to “sell” his daughters in arranged marriages to the sons of Old Man Louie, a Chinese-American. The girls are less than happy about this but agree, for the sake of their family, to go–ahead with the marriages, the entire time planning on how they can avoid going back to America with their husbands. In the weeks that follow, Japan invades China and the girls are left in dire straits. Finding their way out of China, they head to America where they are subjected to constant racism and life in the lower class. No matter what happens, the sisters stick together. Not only are they tied together by blood and familial loyalty, they share secrets which could destroy their lives in America.

I thought this was a good read so I recommend. It definitely kept my interest.

No comments: