Today was new recipe Sunday and this week's winner was fried green tomatoes.
I have had a love affair with the tomato for years. I love LOVE them. There is nothing so good as a tomato with salt on it. Unfortunately, when I met Mr., he hated HATED them (as do all of his siblings). After years of being forced to eat them with me in various capacities, he has come around a bit. So yesterday, when I spotted some green tomatoes at the farmer's market, I suggested we buy them so we could have a fried green tomato fest. Mr. agreed. Last summer I bought an heirloom tomato cookbook so we used the recipe included there, changing out some of the spices for the ones we had in our pantry. The basic recipe is to slice the tomatoes, dip them in buttermilk and then into a dried mixture containing things like panko bread crumbs and flour. Lastly, you put them in oil to fry. (If you want the exact recipe, let me know.) At first they tasted like fried zucchini, another fav in our house. But soon they held their own fried yuminess. We made eight slices from two tomatoes but they were heavy and we only ate two each (we saved the other two for later). This recipe will definitely be added to our rotation.
No comments:
Post a Comment