By Daphne Du Maurier
I usually like Daphne Du Maurier’s books but this one, not so much. Rebecca it was not. For starters, I was prejudiced against this book because I thought it would be a mystery. Instead, I found myself reading a fictional/ non-fictional account of her great-great-grandmother. (I am not sure I got the number of greats right there).
Mary Anne Clarke was born in London to a family who was not exactly rich. Determined to rise above her native situation, Mary Anne learns to use her charms to wield men into supporting her. SPOILER!!! She marries young to an alcoholic who she leaves after about 9 years but not before having had a few children by him. She decides it would be better for all of them if she becomes a high class courtesan , eventually becoming the mistress to the Duke of York. The problem is Mary Anne needs money so she makes money off of bribes for commissions in the army. Much of the book centers around the various trials she is involved in regarding the bribery and some libel. I found these parts, though based in fact, boring. It got too bogged down and I had problems keeping everyone straight.
It wasn’t the worst book I ever read but it definitely will not make the reread list.
No comments:
Post a Comment