August 17, 2010

Triple-Chocolate Chubbies = Too Much!

Last summer in my attempt to make my sister’s shower favors (my signature blondies covered in ganache, yum!), I bought a bunch of baker’s chocolate. But, typical me, I got lazy and since I was flying there, it would be easier to get these. They were a major hit. Unfortunately, I was still left with a cupboard full of cocoa. Because a year is long enough for it to be in my house, I consulted my Good Housekeeping Chocolate! cookbook and came up with three recipes that I wanted to try and let Mr. pick. He chose this one.


There wasn’t a picture in the book but they are basically chocolate chip cookies with chocolate dough. I was a bit thrown off because only ¼ cup of flour was listed in the recipe. I felt this had to be wrong. Mr. nicely googled the recipe but came up blank so we went with it. Turns out it was right. These were a major chocolate gooey mess to get on the cookie sheets. The batter was really thin. After baking, they were supposed to sit on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes and then move to a rack. Um yeah. These little jerks wouldn’t come off the cookie sheet without falling apart. I ended up pulling my baking mats off the sheets and putting those on the racks until the cookies cooled down for about 10 minutes. Then, I was able to scoop them off.

I am not sure how I would rate these. They were decent but almost too chocolaty. Similar to my reaction to Ben and Jerry’s Chocolate Therapy. Chocolate is by far my favorite food so this is saying a lot. I could only eat two before I called uncle. Mr. thought they were OK. He mentioned that something was needed to break up the chocolate taste and we both realized the nuts I left out of the recipe would have done this. (I hate nuts in baked goods and always leave them out.)

I am not sure I will be making these again but they were worth a shot.

PS While I like a lot of the recipes in my Chocolate! cookbook, they list the nutritional info at the bottom of the page. I think it’s a fair conclusion that anyone reading a Chocolate! cookbook can live just fine without that info killing their party.

No comments: