June 5, 2011

Food Network Star Preview

With Season 7 of Food Network Star premiering tonight, I thought I’d do a quick preview post. First, you’ll notice that the Food Network dropped “The Next” from the title of the reality competition. I’m not sure why, since it seems like “The Next Food Network Star” explains the show better that the new title. But if they really wanted an accurate title they would have renamed the show “The Next Food Network Reality Contest Winner who will be off the network within a year”.

Anyway, since I’m currently reading Blink, which deals with first impressions, I thought I’d give my first impressions of this season’s contestants based on nothing but their picture and short bio from the June 2011 issue of Food Network Magazine.

Most likely to be voted off on the first episode:

From pictures alone I’ll go with Howie, and the fact that he’s listed as a “morning radio host” just seals the deal. Something tells me he’ll try way too hard to be funny, but won’t have anyone laughing. If it’s not him, I’d say the food writer Mary Beth just looks like the type of contestant we could say goodbye to first.

Most likely to annoy the crap out of me:

It could be Howie, but I’m predicting he won’t make it far enough for that. The two most likely candidates are Katy, if for no other reason than she’s listed as a “food and fitness life coach”, and Justin, whose bio alone annoys me, which I guess makes him the winner of this category.

Most likely to leave Bob Tuschman smitten:

It has to be Jyll. She just fits the profile.

First contestant to cry:

From the pictures I’m tempted to go with Jeff, but in the end I’m pretty sure it will be Alicia.

The favorites:

My initial reaction is that the three most likely to advance to the end are Whitney, Vic, and Juba.

I also had Mrs. look at the pictures and her first impression favorites were Susie, Justin, and Orchid, with Susie ultimately coming out on top. Good to see how in sync we are.

The ultimate winner:

Vic has a bit of a Guy Fieri vibe, which could work in his favor since Guy is arguably the only successful winner they’ve ever had. But my very early prediction is that Whitney is the Season 7 winner. And when she’s voted off tonight, well, so much for first impressions.

No comments: