June 19, 2011

Food Network Star

So obviously my ability to predict the future isn’t that great after all. Last week’s Food Network Star saw both Juba and Katy sent home, and I didn't think either would be leaving so soon.

At this point we’ve gotten to know each of the contestants to varying degrees, so it’s time to access where everyone stands. We’ve got the favorites, we have the contestants that appear to stand no chance, and we have what I like to call the “wallflowers”, those contestants that have kept a low profile so far, advancing by staying in the middle and not drawing attention to themselves.

The Teacher's Pets:

Orchid – She’s still a fave of all of the judges, but did she come out too strong?

Susie – She was sort of low profile last episode, but still getting good early buzz.

Penny – In a way she’s drawing attention for all of the wrong reasons (you know, being mean and spiteful), but you have to admit she’s working hard to win this thing and the judges seem to be on board.

The Wallflowers:

Jeff – Mrs. didn’t know who he was last episode, and there’s a chance she will have forgotten again before this week’s show. (“There’s a Jeff?”)

Jyll – She had the argument with Howie in the premiere, but I remember absolutely nothing about her appearance last week.

Justin D. – At least last episode he seemed like he was trying to develop a personality, even if he’s clearly trying to be something he’s not (unless of course he’s trying to be a loser).

Whitney – I’m not sure she’s smiled yet.

The Bottom Feeders:

Alicia – She’s not going anywhere if she can’t control the emotions. The judges are growing tired of it.

Chris – He has no chance.

Justin B. – I feel like the judges want him to be better, but I don’t see him getting there. In his own words his performance so far can be summed us as “FAIL.”

Mary Beth – Had a good run last episode, but just not going to happen.

Vic – He’s no Guy Fieri after all.

So who’s going home this week? I think it’s between Chris, Alicia, with a possible dark horse candidate being Jyll. But I’m sticking to my guns and saying that Chris is on borrowed time and we’ll be bidding him adieu.

What else do I expect? Well, one of the judges or guest Food Network personalities will comment on Orchid’s “cuteness”.

We’re bound to hear one of the judges sternly say to a contestant something along the lines of “Do you want it bad enough? Show me something. You’re running out of time."

We’re just about at the point in the season when one of the contestants declares “It made me realize this is a competition”. Because up until that point they didn’t notice people getting voted off.

Justin D. will make one more ridiculous addition to his wardrobe. First he added the hipster glasses. Then he tried the bowtie (really?). And this week I could see him pulling out either some plaid pants or a top hat.

Alicia will cause viewers throughout Missouri to say “Wait, I don’t sound like that, do I?”

Penny will pick a secret fight with another contestant, continuing her season long effort to piss everyone off. This week’s target? Why not Mary Beth?

And of course Alicia will be crying at some point(s).

No comments: