By Laura Childs
Another one of my Borders’ spoils….
The first ever Charleston film festival is taking place and Theodosia Browning, owner of the Indigo Tea Shop, is right in the thick of things when a major director is shot dead in front of big crowd. Theo and her cast of tea shop characters delve into things trying to sniff out the murderer.
This book was slightly “momish”* I thought but, eh, it wasn’t terrible. It looks like there is a whole Tea Shop Mystery series with this crew so I will have to look into that further. I would probably read another one. There was one scene I totally was not expecting and brought out an “OH MY!!!” so that was a pro.
My only complaints: 1. I had no idea how old the main character was supposed to be. Usually you can gauge it but I was like “Is she supposed be like 30 or like 50?” If I had to guess, I would have said older like 50s based on the context clues. I am not sure why this annoyed me so much but it did. 2. I had a pretty good idea who the murderer was the second the character entered the story. I do think it’s hard, especially when you have a series, to be able to have a cast of characters over and over but introduce enough new people to not figure out the murderer. But, when someone appears constantly and really has nothing to add to the story, it’s pretty obvious.
One final note: as a tea-aholic, I appreciated the reverence given to my favorite beverage in this book.
*I apologize if the use of the word “momish” offends any of the moms out there. I read a really interesting article recently that talked about how/ why “mom” has become a derogatory phrase so I am now cognizant of the fact that some people might find offense to its usage in such a context but after some brain-storming it is the only word I could think of that summed it up and since it’s my blog, I get the final word. :P
No comments:
Post a Comment