By Sara Gruen
For the past few years I have seen many people reading Water for Elephants on the train. Because of this, I have picked it up and read the back more than once and always had the same reaction. “A book about the circus? Eh.” So with the movie just recently out, I have seen a renewed interest in this book. Everyone I saw told me how fantastic it was. Even Mr. said he might want to read it. So, I was thinking I might give it a go when lo and behold Mr. brought me a copy as a present (for me or him?).
I went into this book with high hopes.
The gist of the story is that Jacob, the main character, is in his 90s in a nursing home reflecting on his early adulthood and time as a vet in the circus where he met and fell in love with Marlena, one of the circus performers and wife to a not-so-nice head circus guy.
I was disappointed. I thought the end would be more exciting based on the intro but it was just blah. I was also bored by all of the circus talk and I expected the romance portion to begin a lot sooner than it did. Mostly, I just felt bad for all the animals in the book. The human characters were not that engaging.
It was an OK read but I definitely think my expectations going in really influenced my ultimate disappointment. The wow factor was pretty low IMO.
Did anyone else out there feel the same way as me?
No comments:
Post a Comment