August 12, 2011

Read This!: A Rose for the Crown

By Anne Easter Smith

This was another Borders find...

Kate Bywood is a poor farmer’s daughter who goes to live with some rich relations so that she can have a better chance at life. Here she gets an education, develops her talents, and learns to be a lady. Kate is, as to be expected, beautiful and talented. She is married twice before age 18 and eventually becomes the mistress of the future Richard III of England. While together, she has three of his children. This book follows Kate from age 9 to Richard's death (hope that is not a spoiler for anyone) when she is 40.

I bought this book because I like historical fiction and juicy stories of mistresses. I have, however, realized that I need to take a break from mistress stories after reading this. This is my third one for the year and they are very formulaic. The mistress is always beautiful and gifted and forward. Nor surprising. Who wants an ugly, untalented, shy lady for a mistress? The man perfers her over everyone else but can't marry her for one reason or another, usually because she is much lower in class than him.

My major annoyance at this book was this. (And I did overall like the story.) So Kate and Richard get together when he is 15. She gets pregnant ASAP. I have seen 16 and Pregnant. I was unconvinced that his behavior was realistic. He was way too mature. And yes, I realize it was different time and that he was essentially middle-aged. But, I just wasn't buying it.

My other complaint was that everyone had the same name. There were about 15 Richards, Georges, etc. I confused a few of them throughout the story and thought the author meant one when she meant the other. Kind of annoying.

On the whole, this was a decent story. I enjoyed the glimpses into every day life that were historically based like the medicines used and the clothing. I was fascinated that women would pluck an inch off their hairline because that was the style. Yikes! (Although, interestingly I just read in InStyle MakeOver Edition, that Rita Hayworth did something similar with her hairline using electrolysis.) Therefore, I would recommend.

Some parting words. This book was quite big and if you noticed over the past few weeks I have had two books in "What are we reading now?". This is because I got tired of dragging it to and from work so when I had 100 pages to go, I just figured I would read it in the evenings and read another book during my lunch and commute. Alas, I have been busy and it was a slow go. But I did finish it finally last night hence the posting of this review.

No comments: