August 4, 2011

Roman Shade- Part II

OK. Now that the intro is over, let's get down to business.

Here are the instructions again in case you want to follow along.

To start, because this was outside mount, I measured from the outside of my window frame so that the entire thing would be covered. The length was eh, because I don't care if it hangs lower since we have crank windows (hate) the blind won't lay well anyways With outside mount, length doesn't need to precise IMO. I was more precise with the measurement for the width. I matched this to my existing blind. My measurements were 28 inches across and 57 or so inches high. I don't remember the exact height, I threw out the paper I wrote the measurements on, and am too lazy to go upstairs and remeasure so you will have to trust me.

For my fabric, which was a geometric pattern (ugg yet again), when I cut, I made sure to line up the squares so everything was even. Geometric patterns are such a pain but I seem to be drawn to them causing a never ending cycle of stress and crooked lines. I tried to center the pattern so that the same amount of pattern would be on both sides and I was quite smug that I did this until later on when I realized, I messed it up. Oh well. I don't think anyone will notice.

Moving on, to make sure of the top of my fabric throughout this whole thing, I kept some pins at the top so that I would remember which end was up because the fabric was the same upside down and right-side up. The fabric was marked as one end being the top so I wanted to make sure to keep it like that even though I must confess, the weave seemed the same on all sides.

When I was measuring the lines for the channels, I used a pattern board. (Step 5)

I thought I was being pretty swift with this because I could see the lines through the lining and thought for once everything would be even. I am sure you can see where this ends up going.

I put my channels 10 inches apart, same as the instructions.

When I made the channel strips, I ironed them in half and then each half in half. I felt this was easier than folding each side over 1/2 an inch and pinning and ironing. (Step 8)

One thing that annoyed me about these instructions was that when I went to sew the lining to the fabric, it didn't specify seam length. Seams are usually 5/8" but they can vary. I went with 1/2" here erring on the side of not wanting my blind to be too narrow. (Step 12)

I was pretty happy with my progress until I reached the point when you sew the other side of the channel to the fabric so that the sewn line is visible on the fabric. (Step 17)

Even with all my measuring, the lines were not horizontal and some of them skewed to the side. Because this was a geometric pattern, it would be very obvious if my lines weren't straight since you sew through the shade fabric. So I did the best I could sewing the edge, opting for a straight line rather than getting the entire channel sewn. Where it didn't catch, I ended up having to hand sew, it looked like this:



Ghetto, I know but I figured the only people looking at that would be our neighbors and, since I have had to watch them wipe their cat's bottom from my window (we have no idea why they do this), I figured they could deal.

I missed the part where the directions said to do two lines of rings. I did three spaced at intervals of 4 inches from the side and one ring in the middle. (Step 18)

Step 20: I hate hand-sewing and my whip-stitching to close the channel was weak. I figured no one would be able to see this forgetting i had an outside mount blind but alas:



Sigh.

I am reminded of a quote from Olivia de Havilland (I think) regarding how David O. Selznick in Gone with the Wind insisted they have fab underthings. It went something like this: "I told him no one would see it and he replied, you'll know they are there."

Anyways, I tend to go with the if you don't see it, as long as it works who cares mentality. Next time, I will be more cautious. At least you can't see this unless you go to the side of the blind and not by looking head on.

Mr. nicely sawed my board for me (Step 21) and painted it white (no step). Because it was outside mount, I thought painting it to match the frame would look OK. It did. Yeah!

Step 23 I changed and screwed in the eyes on the underside of the board. Because it was outside mount, I couldn't screw them into the place where the instructions listed. See here:



(Side note: We have the worst light in our basement. I try and try to get a good white balance but always fail. I won't give up but that is why the colors always seem off.)

I cut three lengths of nylon string (Step 25) because I had three ring rows.

The blind was made so we took it upstairs to hang it up!

I used 1 inch elbow brackets (not sure of the official name but I think that is it. I threw out the wrapping so I can't check.) to attach the blind to the frame. I used the old holes from our previous blinds so that was a win. Mr. nicely drilled holes for me in the top and screwed the blinds to the bracket:



And with that the blind was hung!

For a better view on how this looked on our frame from the side:



And the finished product:


Some last thoughts:

1. The instructions didn't say how you were supposed to keep the blind up. If you pull the string, it doesn't catch on anything so I just did a slip knot. We don't open and close this too often so it's not a huge deal. If anyone has a better suggestion, I am all for hearing it.

2. Once the blind was up, I did think it looked good, however I am not sure it matches our shower curtain. Case in point:



I thought the blues would complement and the different patterns look decent but I am not sold. Even Mr. said he didn't think it flowed that great but he said it looked OK enough. HA! I am thinking of ways to incorporate the colors better or maybe if I find another shower curtain on sale, I will just buy it.

No comments: