We don’t write much (or at all) about music on this blog, but I figure if I can write thousands of words about Food Network Star, I can surely find time to write about something I’m far more passionate about. I mentioned previously that I’d written a post about the top albums of the last 10 years, but that it was lost in The Great Computer Crash of 2011. Instead of trying to re-write that opus I decided to go in a different direction and write a post listing my favorite songs of all-time. As Mrs. can vouch, I love lists. I’ve even written lists about what lists I need to make.
Of course a list like this is ever changing and if I created it again next week, I’d probably change the order completely and there’d be 10 different songs replacing existing ones (heck I changed the order seven times in the past 15 minutes). So let’s just call this my favorite songs of all-time as of this hour.
The one rule I’ve imposed on myself is only having one song per artist. Otherwise I’d have a list with only three bands’ songs - I tend to be incredibly loyal to the artists I like. So let’s just acknowledge that in reality, song #29 on the list isn’t necessarily my 29th favorite song and that . . . well, this is the point where Mrs. would say I’m getting wordy and need to learn to be more succinct and should just wrap up this (unnecessary) long introduction already. So let’s just do that.
I do want to note though that Mrs. just came over to see what I was doing and wondered if I included “You’re My Best Friend” by Queen because it was our first dance song at our wedding reception (I did not). But because I love my wife, lo and behold I’ve found a place for it.
My 33 (one for each of my years) favorite songs:
33) “You’re My Best Friend” – Queen
It’s like it was here all along.
32) “Stand by Me” – Ben E. King
I took piano lessons when I was younger and this was the first “cool” (read: not classical) song I learned to play.
31) “Just Watch The Fireworks” – Jimmy Eat World
At seven minutes and two seconds, it’s still only the second longest song on the list.
30) “Father and Son” – Cat Stevens
29) “Maybe Not” – Cat Power
Meow
28) “Fake Empire” – The National
I listened to this song 1,842 times (all numbers approximate) in 2007 while searching Realtor.com for houses
27) “Sweet Jane” – Cowboy Junkies
Sweet (sorry, couldn’t resist) cover of The Velvet Underground song.
26) “Soul to Squeeze” – Red Hot Chili Peppers
25) “Cut Your Hair” – Pavement
24) “Far Behind” – Candlebox
Because they remind me of being young.
23) “Shine a Light” – Wolf Parade
This is around the spot on the list where I’m guessing Mrs. has checked out.
22) “Wise Up” – Aimee Mann
In looking at this list I’ve noticed how many songs contain piano.
21) “Half a World Away” – R.E.M.
And in addition to piano, a lot of songs with a melancholy vibe. This is where Mrs. and I’s musical tastes differ. I’ll readily admit that she likes music that’s more “fun” and upbeat than the music I tend to enjoy.
20) “The Rebels” – The Cranberries
19) “Everlong” – Foo Fighters
18) “Glycerine” – Bush
Everyone has his or her weakness. For Mrs. it’s chocolate, for me it’s 1990’s alternative music.
17) “Sympathy for the Devil” – The Rolling Stones
16) “Trouble” – Coldplay
15) “Imagine” – John Lennon
The British invasion.
14) “Philosophy” – Ben Folds Five
13) “I Know” – Fiona Apple
12) “Us” – Regina Spektor
I once saw Regina described as a cross between Ben Folds and Fiona Apple, and the rest as they say, is history.
11) “The Trapeze Swinger” – Iron & Wine
The longest song on the list, clocking in at nine minutes and thirty-two seconds (don't let that scare you away).
10) "The King of Carrot Flowers, Pt. 1" - Neutral Milk Hotel
9) “3rd Planet” – Modest Mouse
8) “New Slang” – The Shins
Three more down, seven to go . . . we're almost there.
7) “(Sittin’ On) The Dock of the Bay” – Otis Redding
Otis sounds like an old soul, but died at the age of 26. Am I the only one who finds that crazy?
6) “Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right” – Bob Dylan
The voice of a generation . . . not my generation, but still a great song.
5) “Release” – Pearl Jam
4) “All Apologies” – Nirvana
It’s like I’m still wearing my flannel shirt and ripped jeans.
3) “Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)” – Arcade Fire
Do yourself a favor and listen to the whole album.
2) “Fake Plastic Trees” – Radiohead
Only one of the best bands ever.
1) “Mayonaise” – Smashing Pumpkins
Picking a favorite Pumpkins song is what I imagine it would be like to have to pick a favorite child, only infinitely more difficult. For today, this is my favorite song.
No comments:
Post a Comment