December 15, 2011

Mad Men Madness

Last year, Mr. asked my family for Mad Men Season 4 on his Christmas/ b-day list.

My sister, Speechie, and her husband, Diploma, obliged.

Now, we didn’t see Speechie and Diploma over the Christmas holidays last year so Speechie was going to send us the rest our Christmas gifts as well as our b-day presents.

Important note about my family: We are not timely with presents. We will send a gift eventually but it could be a few months late. It’s not that we don’t care. It’s just that, well, we just tend to be slow on this. No one minds. We all know there will be a gift coming our way at some point. We are all adults after all and don't need something on the big day to feel special.

That being said, around last April, Mr. and I were getting anxious for our presents because there were some DVDs involved that we wanted to take on our trip to Hawaii to watch on the plane. (Yes, another thing about my family is that we usually know what the present is before we receive it. We prefer it this way. No uncomfortable surprise presents. This nugget of info will also help you to understand how I can write this post now instead of after Christmas/ Mr.’s b-day.)

I may have done some nagging and Speechie finally sent us the presents.

Two packages arrived.

I opened them.

(Side story: Last year I bought myself a shirt from Banana Republic in blue before Christmas. Mr. bought me the same shirt in purple for my birthday in January. On opening it, he said “I think you might have this shirt already.” I did but it was a different color so I kept it. When these packages arrived from my sister, the same exact shirt arrived in purple. (Too late for an exchange.) So now I have the same shirt three times over, once in blue and two times in purple. And yes, I wear them all. It is my winter uniform.)

Mad Men Season 4 was in none of these boxes. So I texted my sister asking her if it was supposed to be. She claimed it was. She claimed she put it in there.

I should also add that one of the boxes was quite beat up.

So I figured there was a 50/50 chance that it fell out of the box, was stolen by a neighborhood ruffian like that person that snatched my pumpkins, or that my sister really didn’t put it in there (she has a reputation for losing things). Time would tell.

A few days later, Speechie informed me that MMS4 showed up in her mailbox!

Our conjecture: The box it was in got busted. MMS4 in its original packaging from Amazon with my sister’s address on it fell out. The USPS saw it, assumed it was a different package, and sent it back to my sister. Nuts! But way to be on top of things USPS! Of course, if the package hadn’t been all broken up to begin with….

MMS4 is still at Speechie’s house

Let’s move to November of this year, Speechie e-mailed my family asking for Christmas/ b-day lists. This is what I responded:

For his birthday, [Mr.] would like you to name your first born, boy or girl, after him.

That or Mad Men season 4.

Obviously a joke.

I thought anyways.

Mr. sent his real list to everyone on 11/27.

Yesterday Speechie e-mailed me this:

Hey-
Why did you tell me to get [Mr.] mad men season 4. That is what I bought him last year and we have it sitting here to give him. I re-bought it as this years gift.

Um yeah.
So my sister, having never opened the original box from Amazon or taking the DVDs out until now, forgot she already bought season 4 and thinking my original e-mail was a real gift list just assumed she had bought another season last year, and so rebought it. I can only assume as well that she will be naming her baby after him.

In a most fitting end to all of this MMS4 drama, Mr. will be getting two copies of it this holiday season.

And no, if you are wondering, I cannot make this stuff up.

No comments: