July 5, 2011

Back It Up! Back It Up!

So about a month ago, I became a little bit (ok a lot a bit) obsessed out of the blue that we needed to back up our computer.

I nagged Mr. for days to back up everything on our computer on the external hard drive.

He finally did.

Thankfully.

In the interim, I ordered 1500 (4 years worth) of pictures from Kodak Gallery so that I would have the hard copies in case of a crash and in case KG started deleting my pics because I hit their storage limit and didn't spend enough money. (Tip: Order pics at least annually) I also uploaded to KG any pictures we wanted in case of a crash that weren't there already.

I can be a bit obsessive at times and wanted extra reassurance that our pictures would be saved in case the external hard drive died as well.

But thankfully again.

Because Thursday "Otis" our computer crashed. Blue screen and all. Ugg.

We left on Friday for my cousin's wedding and decided to let Otis rest and see what happened when we got back.

And, yesterday no dice. I did have my work computer at home and we had our iPhones so we didn't go through internet withdrawal.

I did do some searching about what these error messages mean. Still don't know.

But, we did attempt to take the side of the computer off and look at the parts, covered in dust. (Oops.) (Note to self: clean the inside of your computer every so often.) However, we had no idea what we were doing and quickly stopped that.

So, now we are debating on calling Dell or trying to go to the Geek Squad. We had been thinking about getting a new computer anyways so eh. But, I at least want to see if our hard drive can be saved and we can get anything that wasn't backed up. Fortunately, any pictures we have taken since then are still on our camera so those are not lost.

On buying a computer, this is my second Dell. The last one crashed after about four years as well. So I am not sure we want to go this route. And yes I know computers are dated the second they leave the store but I'd like my computers to stop crashing on me.

I would really LOVE a Mac but they frighten Mr. And we are not sure how compatible all of our stuff is with Macs which could be an issue.

Unfortunately, this means that no picture posts until we get this sorted. Sad face. But, we have some fab ones coming on a garden update and my adventures making a roman shade.

And some parting words: BACK UP YOUR COMPUTER!!!!!!!!!!!!

And let's hope that external hard drive of ours does not crash.

No comments: