July 23, 2011

The Food Network Star Surprise Double Vote-Off

Well, I guess it wasn't too much of a surprise they voted two contestants off the show last week since they did mention it in the previews for the episode and all. But it still surprised me because I'd obviously forgotten, or else I would have predicted two finalists going home in my last blog, which would have given me the opportunity to be wrong twice.

Ok, so what does Mary Beth have on the judges? Incriminating pictures of Bob Tuschman and John Mayer? Seriously, why is she still around? Does anyone think she's a potential Food Network star? It's like they're trying to mess with our heads.

So if I thought Orchid getting sent home two weeks ago was a surprise, then Penny getting voted off last week was the biggest surprise yet. Yes, she was confrontational and I really don't see how her attitude would have played on her own show, but at least she kept things interesting and everyone seemed to love her food. I don't see how the judges, faced with the decision between her and Mary Beth, could have chosen to keep the latter around. And this is from someone who was happy to see Penny go home.


Ok, so with the show down to the final six, it's time for one more look at where each contestant stands:

The Favorite - Susie. She's going to win this, it's a done deal.

Vic - He's moved into the 2nd position. But the Food Network already has a Guy Fieri and a Michael Symon. And really, Vic is just a combination of the two.

Whitney - She's coming on strong late, but just doesn't have the personality to win. I don't know if a contestant has ever made it this far without sharing any personal information (oh, she did mention she was in a sorority - does that count?)

Jeff - Fading a bit. I still think he could be an Adam Gertler type personality on the network, but ultimately I think even that will allude him.

Jyll - Hanging by a thread. She's just been too inconsistent to take seriously at this point.

The Steerage - Mary Beth. Ugh.


My quick predictions for this week:

Mary Beth is out. I will not be wrong about this again.

Mary Beth will inexplicably not be out, I will be wrong again, and my head will explode.

Assuming Mary Beth does have those pictures, I guess Jyll's time is up. She won't get a pass this week because the judges feel bad about Wolfgang Puck humiliating her. Speaking of which, the whole risotto debacle gave us two great moments, 1) Bobby closing his eyes and saying to himself, "Oh, Jesus Christ" as Wolfgang leads Jyll back to the kitchen - one of the funniest moments ever on the show, and 2) Jyll asking why no one told her she was making the risotto incorrectly. Uh, Jyll? This is a competition. And more specifically, it's a cooking competition. So if you don't know how to cook risotto . . . why are you cooking risotto?!

At least one contestant (and more likely all of them) will be starstruck by Rachel Ray. Every year the contestants can't believe they're meeting the various Food Network personalities each week. This is inexplicable to me.

Jeff will embarrass himself in front of Rachel Ray.

Someone (probably Mary Beth) will cry because they miss their family.

Vic will be described as a "big teddy bear".

At some point, Mrs. will exclaim, "What is (fill in name of contestant - at this point guaranteed to be Mary Beth) wearing?!"

At the final judging, Vic will be standing in a pose that will make him look like he's a bouncer at a nightclub and/or Susie's bodyguard.

Bob will say before they vote someone off that this was the "toughest decision we've had to make". Would love for them to say just once, "Well this week it was really easy . . . "

No comments: