By Harriet Evans
I read one of Harriet Evans’ books, Going Home, on my honeymoon four years ago and I remembered liking it. So when I saw more books by her on the shelf at Borders I grabbed one.
Tess and Adam have been best friends since birth. After breaking up with her boyfriend in London, Tess moves back to her home town of Langford to teach classics at Langford College. While in Langford, Tess lets herself go a bit but then when Tess takes her class on a trip to Rome, she has a whirlwind romance with an American named Peter and begins to rediscover herself. Meanwhile Adam has remained in Langford all these years. He is having a bit of a crisis himself as he comes to terms with his family history. Tess and Adam are at a turning point in their friendship and they need to decide where it is going.
THERE ARE SOME SPOILERS BELOW!!!
So, I am reading this book and usually in these types of boy-girl best friend novels, they have a romance so I expected one here. But, about 150 pages in, with no hint of a romance, I changed my expectations and so had no clue there was going to be this sordid back story suddenly revealed. Also, as one would expect in a book like this, it should be a question of when will they get together. But, throughout this whole book, I never got the idea that they had the hots for each other and I was rooting for the American. I felt the end was a bit forced because I don’t think Harriet Evans did a good job in developing the characters as being “meant to be”.
Bottom line: Ok read. Chick lit all the way.
No comments:
Post a Comment