July 29, 2011

Blink

Malcolm Gladwell's Blink is about first impressions and our unconscious reaction to particular situations. He describes how we can often use the first few seconds to make better decisions than we would if we had more time and information to analyze, but also when a quick judgement can be problematic (stereotyping as an example). He explains when we should trust our instincts and when we should spend more time critically thinking about a situation, using examples of marriage counseling, speed dating, police officers in the heat of the moment, doctors judging the urgency of a patient's symptoms, voting for politicians, and judging artwork, music, and even food. One part I liked was when Gladwell wrote that while only 14.5% of all men in the U.S are six feet or taller, 58% of Fortune 500 CEO's are six feet or taller. He uses this as an example of how on an unconscious level we see taller people as more intelligent and successful. As a member of the six foot and under club, perhaps this is why I'm not getting promoted at work.

I don't have too much else to say about this book. In part because I read it a few months ago at this point and in part because it's a nonfiction book with a lot of information that I'm probably not doing a good job of explaining anyway. I'd say my first impression was that I liked it and that it was my favorite of the three Gladwell books I've read. Although perhaps that's an example of a faulty snap judgement. But, like all of his books, I did find it very interesting. And like all of his books, if there was a fault, it was that some of the conclusions seem obvious, while some make me wonder if they were a result of a small sample size and may ultimately be wrong.

So that's a long way of saying that I'd recommend Blink, just like I would all of Malcolm Gladwell's writing. It was a good break from the fiction I usually read. It's the kind of book that had me saying to Mrs., "Listen to what I read in my book . . . ", while she feigned interest and wondered when she could get back to sleeping on the couch. A good time all around.

Next Up: The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

No comments: